“Our youth must be given a ‘hand-up’ in their quest to pursue a science career.”
— Maria Zeneida Angara Collinson, Former Philippine Ambassador to Austria
STEMS70 is the flagship scholarship program of PACES and provides funding of up to PhP 300,000 per student per year and the possibility to study abroad in Austria.
STEM denotes the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics; the number marks 70 years of diplomatic cooperation between Austria and the Philippines in 2016, the year that this scholarship was founded. The purpose of STEMS70 is to support the development of the Philippines by molding today’s students to become the country’s future leaders. It is based on the belief that by providing them avenues to study, they will, in turn, use the skills and knowledge they gain to positively impact the Philippine economy.
The scholarships support undergraduate university courses leading to a bachelor’s degree in any of the selected science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) degree programs in the following fields:
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Physics
- Chemistry with Applied Comp. System
- Chemistry w/ Materials Sci. & Engineering
- Computer Science
- Engineering (any degree program)
- Information Technology
- Mathematics Teaching
How does the STEMS70 scholarship work?
The scholarships may be taken in any state university or college in the Philippines. Scholarships shall be for one school year at a time, with renewal subject to satisfactory performance until the completion of a 4- or 5-year degree program.
What costs are covered by a STEMS70 scholarship?
A STEM70 full scholarship provides financial assistance per year to cover the following:
- Actual tuition and other school fees for regular and summer semesters, or trimesters, up to PHP 100,000 per calendar year;
- Cost of prescribed textbooks, school supplies and required school uniforms as an outright lump sum of PHP 10,000 per calendar year;
- A monthly living allowance of up to PHP 8,000 per month when enrolled.
- Necessary transportation expenses between the scholar’s permanent residence and the place of study up to two times per year (equivalent to one round trip), which shall not exceed the cost of economy class air travel;
Who can apply?
Applicants for a STEMS70 scholarship should meet the following eligibility requirements at the time of application for the scholarship:
- He/she must be a Filipino citizen;
- Residing in the Philippines;
- Between 17 to 25 years old;
- Good moral character;
- Enrolled in the 3rd to 5th years in any of the eligible degree programs in an approved state college or university;
- Weighted average of 2.0 or higher (on a grading scale with 1.0 = highest and 3.0 = passing);
- Proficient in both English and Pilipino;
- The total gross annual income of both parents must be less than PHP 300,000;
Apply for a STEMS70 Scholarship
Download and fill out our application form
Gather all supporting documents
Submit all documents to PACES.
Instructions on how to apply
- Download, fill out and sign this application form.
- Send an electronic copy of your application form to email@example.com (PACES can, upon its own discretion, request each applicant to submit additional documents via regular mail for further review).
The application period has now closed.
Final selection will be based on the quality and completeness of the application, the grades, and qualifications of the applicant and financial need.
Other requirements of the scholarship
A STEMS70 scholar must comply with the following scholarship requirements:
- Must sign a scholarship contract
- Subject to the approval of PACES, the scholar may work part-time;
- Must carry the full academic load each academic semester/trimester for the degree program in which the scholar is enrolled;
- Must maintain the grade requirements of the scholarship:
- Must maintain a general weighted average in all subjects equal to or better than the equivalent of 2.0 (grading scale with 1.0 = highest and 3.0 = passing)
- May not drop a subject in which he/she is enrolled;
- Must submit at the start of each semester/trimester a proof of enrollment indicating the subjects enrolled in;
- Must report grades at the end of each semester/trimester for the continuation of the scholarship. Must report academic or other difficulties to the Scholarship Committee as soon as possible.
- May not change degree course without permission of PACES
- Must work full-time in the Philippines after graduation for a period of 1 year for every year of financial support received. Must report his/her status to PACES at least once a year until the work requirement is fulfilled.
- One recent unretouched passport size photo ID
- Birth Certificate certified by the National Statistics Office (NSO)
- Transcript of grades of the last 2 semesters in college or University
- One copy of the applicant’s CV which includes educational and work related achievements
- One letter of recommendation from a former teacher in high school or university
- NBI clearance
- Latest Income Tax Return of both parents, or the family member who financially supports the applicant or a certificate of tax exemption.
The Application Process
After submission of the application form and all supporting documents, PACES will assess the candidate’s application and will contact him/her for an online interview via Skype or Viber. The purpose of this interview will be to obtain more information about the applicant.
The applicants are therefore urged to prepare well for the online interview. Some typical questions that PACES will ask could include:
- the applicant’s career aspirations;
- the applicant’s skill set and which skill and knowledge set the applicant wishes to develop in future, and
- how he/she will be able to contribute to the development of the Philippines with his/her skill set.